To make a booking for the Parish Hall, please contact the Clerk to the Council on 07834 390171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
History of the Parish Rooms
The configuration of the current building has undergone very significant modifications and extensions since 1924, when the site was gifted to the Parish by the Hunloke family. In 1924, the only buildings on the site were a forge and two shoeing sheds. With modest funds obtained through local donations and a loan from one of the Councillors, the Parish Council set about extending and improving the very basic accommodation. The Parish Rooms were soon established as a thriving hub of the community used for dances, whist drives, meetings for various clubs and societies, concerts, miner's welfare, Sunday school, charitable events, etc. Throughout this period, despite being heated by coal or coke fires, and relying on pan closets (having no water for sanitation) (WPC Minute 4th August 1945), during the war the Parish Rooms functioned as an ARP station, and also as a distribution centre for food rationing coupons. Until 1954 the buildings were leased to Derbyshire Education Authority for the local school to use as a classroom and dining room. In 1966 the Parish Council purchased land from adjacent cottages (Hill Houses) and in 1974 the Parish Rooms were reconfigured internally and extended to provide a large Hall, a stage, kitchen, meeting room, toilets, and space for car parking.